December 29, 2015

Informal education prepares Rohingya chidren for resettlement

Nur Kaidah, whose parents are Rohingya refugees who had fled Myanmar with their family to escape the persecution and strife they faced in their homeland, said she has been dreaming of having her own bakery ever since she tasted a piece of chocolate cake given to her by a friend.

"I know I have to do well in school first, then learn to make cakes and open a shop. Then, I can eat all the cake I want and earn some money for my family," said the bright-eyed teen, who was born in Malaysia.


Nur Kaidah is a student at the Muslim Aid Knowledge Centre (Pima), a school specially set up for Rohingya children in Kampung Ampang Tambahan in Ampang, and run by the Muslim Aid Malaysia Humanitarian Foundation.
Nur Kaidah, who has nine other siblings aged between three and 24, used to live in Terengganu before her family moved to Kuala Lumpur in search of a better life and education for the children.

Her classmate Amin Sharif Hasan Sharif, 12, is a big fan of Malaysian astronaut Datuk Dr Sheikh Muszaphar Shukor and intends to follow in his footsteps.

"I will study hard so that I too can become a national astronaut," said the youngster, who considers himself a Malaysian. (Courtesy of The Malaysian Insider)

No comments:

Post a Comment