March 28, 2017

Myanmar army chief rules out Rohingya citizenship

Myanmar's military chief on Monday denounced the claim to citizenship by Rohingya Muslims, and defended the government's crackdown on them.

"We have already let the world know that we don't have Rohingya in our country," army chief Min Aung Hlaing said in a speech marking Myanmar's armed forces day.

"Bengalis in Rakhine state are not Myanmar citizens and they are just people who come and stay in the country," Hlaing added.

Myanmar is now under civilian leadership but its powerful military, which ruled the country until recently and built up a notorious reputation for rights abuses, still uses the armed forces day to flex its muscle.

Rohingya Muslims, stripped of their citizenship in 1982, are often referred to as "illegal" immigrants by Myanmar's leaders. About 1.1 million Rohingya are denied citizenship and their movement is severely restricted, with tens of thousands confined to dire camps since violence drove them from their homes in 2012.

Hlaing's speech came just one day after the government rejected a decision by the United Nations rights council's to send a fact-finding mission to Myanmar to investigate allegations of rape and murder by security forces against Rohingya. (Courtesy of aljazeera.com)

8 comments:

  1. Arakan watch is the best blog for the rules of Rohingya citizenship. Thanks for sharing, I also share the gift card. for more detail visit Steam Wallet Gift card

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job. This is an informative post. Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us. You are a great writer. I liked your blog because your blog is so attractive. I appreciate your hard work.I am sharing related topic which is most important for how to get free Robux

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really happy found this website eventually. Really informative and inoperative, Find here an interesting stuff Google Play Gift Card Code Generator

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is one of the most significant information for me. And I’m glad reading your article. I also have something for you. you can check here

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your all post. You have done really good work. Thank you for information you provide, it helped me a lot. I have something new for you click here
    Check here

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a smart blog. I mean it. You have so much knowledge about this issue, and so much passion. I also have something for you to compress and archieve your data. Winrar
    visit here

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent and decent post, I found this very informative. I’m really impressed by the information you have on this site. You can also BSL Shaders for amazing gaming experience.

    ReplyDelete