May 13, 2016

When my conscience finally trumped my camera

I have travelled with a camera in 32 countries but I take fewer and fewer pictures.
It was on a group tour to Myanmar (sometimes called Burma) that I forever lost my taste for photographing people in exotic places. We had two guides: a local who spoke English as well as Burmese to explain the culture, and an American, who was there presumably because he understood us Westerners and our need for photo ops.
The American guide was sitting up front in our tour bus, on the lookout for places to stop for pictures. “Photo op!” he cried suddenly, and the bus pulled over and came to a stop. About a dozen of us climbed down and crowded around to stare at a group of startled Burmese women bathing and washing their clothing in the lake beside the road. Cameras started clicking, and I felt embarrassed. (Courtesy of theglobeandmail.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment