January 20, 2016

Bring on the world

After the bout, Tun Tun Min described his unease at facing his countrymen in Myanmar’s national combat sport.

“I feel so sad when I face local fighters. I had the same feeling when I fought Saw Nga Mann [to win the Golden Belt in September 2014],” said the country’s number-one fighter.

“I don’t want to fight local fighters again. I want to fight foreign fighters and make our traditional lethwei famous across the world,” he added.

That didn’t stop Tun Tun Min from entering this fight with such ferocity that it stunned even the crowd at the packed Theinphyu – a group well-worn to this most intense form of pugilism.

From the first bell, the champion – in his first defence of that title – went straight to the offensive, with a combination of kicks and punches that left Saw Gaw Muu Do reeling. His opponent – better known as Gaw Gaw – attempted to block and defend but was overpowered by the speed and consistency of Tun Tun Min. (Courtesy of Myanmar Times)

No comments:

Post a Comment